Wednesday, February 16, 2011

On the road again

TRAINING REPORT:

Finally.  Eight consecutive days of physical punishment came to an yesterday as I finally took my first rest day.  Eight days covering a distance of over 34 miles.  Eight days burning over 6800 Kcal.  I was definitely ready for a rest day, it was just unfortunate that it had to come in the form of a travel day that started with check-in at the airport at 5AM for a week-long business trip.

Cramming myself into coach seats on two regional jets and a 737 for 5 hours of my day was far from the ideal way to spend an off-day from training, but it was certainly nice to get to the hotel in the afternoon and just be able to not worry about getting a work-out in.  


MUSINGS:


Maintaining a diet on the road is difficult, but it can be done.  Later this week, I'll share some of the things I do to try to contain the damage of eating out for 3 meals a day.  Dining while traveling is worse.  There's rarely time for a sit-down meal and, unless you get a first-class bump, getting anything substantial on a plane is virtually impossible.

For me the net result is that I'm typically hungry until we do dinner and I scavenge for the rest of the day (as evidenced in my diet log, above).  I pack high-calorie bars.  Clif Builder Bars are awesome, but I've lately been traveling with the available-at-Costco Clif bars (the old school ones), Kashi CRUNCH bars, and Zone bars.  One of those and a bottle of water usually quiet my stomach for a while.

It's still never enough and the lack of proper nutrition certainly doesn't play nicely with the stress of travel, running on little sleep, and being in a giant petri dish for a significant portion of the day.  The problem with eating healthy is that it's hard to find 3000 healthy Kcal in a day when for a significant portion of that time, you don't realistically have easy access to ANY food.

The result is that when dinner rolls around I'm hungry and my body is strongly craving everything (fat, carbs, protein) and my body wants to play catch-up.   ...and more often than not, I let it.  Right or wrong, I know that tomorrow is back on the work-out bandwagon for another 6 days and I'm going to need the energy!  So get the food in, rehydrate, go to bed, get a good night's sleep, and get up ready to roll in the morning.  Giddy-up.

No comments:

Post a Comment