Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Hills Suck (But Are So Damn Rewarding)

TRAINING REPORT:

Last quick catch up for the night, this time for Saturday.  The weather was much better the 18 mile run than last weekend's weather-shortened attempt at 20.  I felt better early on, too.  I ran almost the same course I had set for the 20 and the first 8 miles were the same as the typical 10 mile run I do (I still can't completely accept that I use the phrase, "...the typical 10 mile run I do...")

The weather was upper 30s, which is borderline for needing long sleeves and pants, but I know from experience that I feel better if I'm a bit warm versus a bit cold.  The first half of the run was very uneventful, but the second half was anything but.  For starters, I only kinda/sorta paid attention to the run profile.  I'm a firm believer in running hills as part of training, and I knew the first 8 miles of the course had some pretty good "rolling hills" in the last 2 miles.  I thought that miles 8-11 were fairly flat with a hill leading up to the pinnacle at mile 12.

Yeah, I was kinda wrong about that.

The profile (below) doesn't quite do justice to the fact that miles 8-11 were a pretty steady climb with 11-12 being a Category 5 climb for a cyclist.  Granted, that is the lowest classification of a hill, but in order to be classed, a hill must have both a sustained slope and duration.



At around mile 9, I started getting a sharp pain in the TOP of my right foot that would dog me for the rest of the run, reducing me to a walk on several occasions.  When it first happened, I (hopefully correctly) diagnosed a too-tight shoe, loosened the laces and kept going.  The problem cropped up again at mile 12 suddenly enough that I stumbled a few steps before I could get down to walking pace to give it some relief. Fortunately, I was able to complete the run home.

The other pain-in-the-ass was that this ended up being a techno-challenged run.  I ran the first 12 miles to Tool's 10,000 Days album, a change of pace from the normal Lateralus that I switched over to at mile 12.  My RunKeeper app decided to ignore the first mile of my run and I had to re-map the first portion when I got home.  My iTouch started getting flaky when it auto-paused the workout as I fixed my shoe at mile 9 and then proceeded to sporadically pause the workout and/or pause the music, both of which required a walking pace to address.  For better or worse, the Nike+ app completely crapped out at 17.22 miles (and is still lodged somewhere in the guts of the iTouch) and, upon returning home only synced about 16 miles of the run.

Despite all of that, I managed to complete the run just under my target pace of 9:00 miles.  When I got home, I could see a small, but obvious bruise where it hurt (and continues to hurt!).  Apparently the left foot has one, too, because my shoes didn't feel so swell the day after.  My quads were (and are) incredible sore from the climb, but I think I'll pull through!

I learned on this run that I need more than 24oz of fluid on-course and the 3 gels I took at ~40 minute intervals were a bit lacking in providing what I needed to maintain that 'fresh runner' feeling.  I burned off over 4 lbs of weight on the run and, over the course of the day, ingested over a gallon of fluid, the majority of which was water.

2011-MAR-12 Diet Log -- 5000+ Kcal and still didn't hit my target for % of carbs!
2011-MAR-13 Diet Log -- The Official Cheat Day where I don't try to balance diet to exercise.

2011-MAR-12 Run Graph (Nike+, most of the run)
2011-MAR-12 Run Stats (RunKeeper, most of the run)

MUSINGS:

I've decided to do a second week of "Bonus 500."  Through 5 days, I *lost* about 2.5 lbs by eating over 2,700 more calories than I theoretically needed to maintain my weight.  Then, with Saturday's 5000+ Kcal binge and fluid up-take, I gained about 4 lbs in a day.  So now I want to see what an additional week will look like.  My biggest concern is that it's becoming somewhat habit forming to eat about 3700 Kcal per day and I know that, in the long term, that's excessive.

According to commonly available metabolic calculators, I *should* somewhere around 2100 Kcal per day to live a sedentary life style (which fits my desk-job work week) to which I add exercise calories.  Someone like a waiter or delivery driver would get about 2,600 and an actual laborer (e.g. construction) would get around 2,900.  Based on what it takes to maintain weight, I had increased that 2100 to 2600 as my "base" without changing a single thing I do for activity.  With the Bonus 500, I've added another 500 to bring my base up to 3,100 Kcal per day before adding in exercise.  ...and for 5 days in a row, I *lost* weight doing it.

I have some ideas for why this might be the case, but I want to give this another week and see where it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment